SAVI BOSS BABE - Vanessa Horning, D.A.C.M - Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
- Describe what you do.
I’m a Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine. My doctorate allows me to perform Acupuncture, Cupping, Herb Treatment, Tui NA massage, and the overall spirit of the patient.
- What lead you to eastern medicine?
As a child, my mother was very ill and she discovered that eastern medicine was the one thing that truly helped her. So, it was a staple in my home life and it came naturally to me. When we would get ill we would see an Acupuncturist instead of a general doctor. Later in life when I started school I always enjoyed helping others, so, very early on I knew that my purpose in life was to help people.
- What has been your biggest challenge thus far in your career?
In school, studying the eastern mindset as a person who grew up in the west, I had to rewire my mind which was slightly challenging. Currently, in my career, it’s about educating our western society about the value of Chinese Medicine and its spirituality.
- What would you tell your younger self if you could provide one piece of advice?
One thing that I would tell my younger self is let go of pride. Pride is a huge detriment to our well-being. It puts a lot of unnecessary upset and pressure on our lives and decisions. Also, I can now see that some of my decisions in life were due to pride, I think it’s something that we should keep in check.
5. What’s your best piece of advice for women who want to follow in your footsteps?
I say “GO FOR IT! Just do it” and let go of any preconceived notions (be willing to put your western mindset aside). Also, you absolutely have to love people and your practice. It’s a very hard and challenging study/career so, you can’t just go through the motions. You truly have to love it and love people. You will be dealing with people who come to you for help and answers so; you have to be there for them. Energy is also a very important part of Chinese Medicine so you have to be truly in love with it or you won’t survive.
3 most requested treatments and why?
- Acupuncture – Stress, we place needles in strategic points to help treat it. Also, you have to be still for 30 minutes due to the needles so; it makes people just slow down for those few minutes a day.
- More Acupuncture – Smoking/ Addiction – there’s a specific protocol for assisting them.
- Cupping – Athletes are making this more popular recently but in reality, Chinese Medicine is so much more than muscle soreness correction.
Lastly, tell us about your self – Fun Facts!
- Favorite ice cream? Mint Chocolate Chip
- Favorite Book? I’m not a big reader. I read a lot in school so, I’m a little done with books right now lol!
- Coffee or Ice Tea? Coffee
- Sunrise or Sunset? Sunrise
- Tacos or Pizza? Tacos
To Learn more about Vanessa Horning or set an appointment with her today please visit her at Ben Horning Chiropractic and Wellness Center or follow her on social media @horningchiropractic and @xvanessajx